Friday, March 23, 2012

Star



10 and a half years ago... on a cold cold windy blustery night.... four little kittens were born. Joe got to witness their birth and I remember him calling me up very concerned that the mother was eating that gross stuff (the afterbirth...) I remember reassuring him that it was normal... and being so excited listening to the progress. Shortly after we named these kittens... Well the kittens officially became ours a few months later... Star had fluffy calico fur with a beige patch over her eye. She looked a lot like her sister Chloe but we could tell them apart easily... that's what happens when they are your kids.
As Seniors in High School we had these four cats... they went several places with us... moved a gazillion times... and through it all we stayed a family.
Tonight we said good-bye to Star. She has had health issues that in the past she has over come but they always eventually come back. This time it was just too much. In 2005 she had a blood transfusion and she rebounded great. The other day she had another one, but I think her organs just gave out on her this time. The vet clinic did an amazing job with her... and I am very greatful for all they have done.
I am very thankful that she passed away in my arms... I was able to look at her and recognize what was going on (she went downhill fast) and finally tell her it was ok to let go, that she fought really hard and that we love her but she could let go. I sat and petted her a few days before and talked to her about her momma, and what she looked like... in case she went to meet her soon. I also explained to her that my Grandpa Marvin is an animal person and he would most definatly be waiting for her for me. Grandpa loved me and I think he is willing to do that for me :) So I explained all that to her and let her know it was time... and then she slipped away.
I am so thankful for the years we had with her... the guilt of not realizing what was happening or the I should have done this... should have done that... should have spent more time... those are getting to me... but I know that's just the Enemy trying to weigh on me and pull me down. She knows she is loved.... My wonderfully soft, beautiful green eyed cat... with your sweet soft meow and purring until the very end.... I will miss scratching underneath your chin and along your cheek
You will be missed Star, I love you always and forever.

1 comment:

  1. She's a beautiful cat. I'm so sorry for your loss, Chelsea. Prayers for you and the rest of the family as your mourn your "baby"!

    ReplyDelete